Are you constantly finding yourself Googling how to add reviews on Shopify? With the wealth of contradictory information available online, you can get easily confused. In this comprehensive guide, we will look at everything you need to know about Shopify product reviews - from how to add them to understanding the kind of Shopify reviews plugins and apps to use. Let's get going.
Why Do You Need Reviews on Your Shopify Store?
Let's start at the very beginning to understand why you need to showcase authentic and unbiased product reviews on Shopify. Here are three compelling reasons:
- To let shoppers know your eCommerce brand is legit: Adding honest and authentic product reviews from an unbiased third-party (aka other customers) can help your eCommerce store gain the customer's trust as well as build on goodwill. In fact, as per research, consumer reviews are 12x more trusted than product descriptions that come from manufacturers. Since customers writing the reviews have experienced the product first-hand, this can encourage repeat purchases and pad up your bottom line.
- To build 'social proof:' Product reviews from real-life customers can help brands capitalize on social proof - a big advantage. In fact, research indicates that customers end up spending 31% more on businesses with “excellent” reviews. In simpler words, honest product reviews convince customers that the brand's products are worth the hype.
- To increase the conversion rate: The more genuine your product reviews, the greater the consumer trust. The greater the customer trust, the higher the conversion rate will be, leading to increased sales. Moreover, you may even hit the jackpot and get featured on Google snippets - giving your clickthrough rate a major boost.
Top 5 Shopify Product Reviews Apps Worth Considering
Think of customer reviews as user-generated content that your brand can benefit from. Here are the top 5 Shopify product reviews apps that I think you can take advantage of:
5 Easy Steps to Add Reviews on Shopify
If you want to get started with a simple and free product review tool for your Shopify store, I suggest you go for the Product Reviews app. Here's a step-by-step lowdown of how to install the Product Reviews app and start using it for free:
Step 1: Go to the Shopify App Store:
The first step is to go to the Shopify App Store and search for the Product Reviews app in the search bar as shown below:
Note: If you are already on your Shopify admin, head to the Apps section and click on the green "Customize your store" button. You will be redirected to the Shopify App Store. Also, remember that Shopify has a "Recommended for You" section where it might feature the Product Reviews app. So make sure to look it up on your dashboard.
Step 2: Click on the Product Reviews app.
Once you click on the yellow icon titled "Product Reviews," you will be redirected to the following page:
Step 3: Install the Product Reviews app.
To install this app, you'll need to click on the green "Add app" button:
On clicking the green button, you will be taken back to your Shopify admin dashboard. Here, you will be able to set the permissions the app needs to work properly. At this point, you will need to select the "Install app" button to proceed:
That's all. You're done. Now you have a free product reviews app ready to be used on your Shopify store. The Shopify app section also provides a quick and handy tutorial on how to add reviews to your product page templates (as shown here):
If you want to customize your Product Reviews settings, keep reading.
How to Customize Your Product Reviews Settings
To take your product reviews app to the next level and customize the product review widget to your specific product page template, follow these steps:
Step 1: Head to the Shopify Theme Editor
The theme editor is the place where you can make all sorts of customizations. All you need to do is go to Online Store > Themes and then select the Customize button for the theme you wish to customize:
Bonus material: Here are the top 10 conversion-friendly Shopify themes to grow your eCommerce business in 2022. Happy reading!
Step 2: Find the Right Product Page Template in the Theme Editor
Once you are in the theme editor, start the customization process with the homepage. Navigate to the dropdown menu (located at the top of the screen) and select "Products." Remember to select the default product template to edit:
Step 3: Click on the "Add Section” and Locate the Reviews Section Under “Apps”
Once you are on the product page template, keep scrolling down to the bottom left-hand side. Select the Add section blue button and scroll down to the Apps sections (shown below). For Product Reviews, you have the option to add Reviews (for showing full customer reviews):
Alternatively, you can add Product ratings as shown below:
Remember that you can drag both these options up and down, depending on where you want it on your homepage.
Step 4: Customizing Your Product Reviews Blocks
If you want to customize your customer reviews from the Product Reviews app, head over to the right side of the screen:
- Customizing the star rating: Here, you can personalize the star color, size, badge text if no reviews are available, alignment, and the product. For any other change, you will need to make it from within the app itself.
Bonus Tips for Customizing the Product Reviews Section:
1. You can add the Reviews or Star rating blocks within the Product information section itself. Simply click the Add block option in that section and place the star rating just below the product title. You can also add a number link to the star rating, which will demonstrate the number of reviews for the said product. Drag and drop this option anywhere you want on the page--from placing it above the product description or below the "Add to Cart" button, the choice is yours. As long as it fits within your theme, you are free to experiment with the placement.
2. If you want to monitor the reviews prior to publishing them, you can do so by heading over to the Settings section. Here, you’ll be able to enable or disable the auto-publish option. You also have the option to get an email notification every time a new review gets published:
In addition to getting email notifications, you can also make personalized updates to the headlines and text used for every part of the review listing:
If you go for paid apps such as Yotpo and Stamped, you will be able to leverage more capabilities to customize the display and functionality of your review widgets.
The Bottom Line
Adding authentic, updated, and honest product reviews on your Shopify store has emerged as a must-have feature for eCommerce stores of all shapes, sizes, scales, and forms. Thanks to giants such as Amazon, customers today pay special attention to user reviews. This makes sense as customers trust the word of other real customers over the manufacturer.
So, if you want to build brand credibility, gain customer trust, boost brand affinity, increase sales and conversion rates, and maintain goodwill, you need to add the Reviews feature to your Shopify store. Make sure to customize the option based on your brand's inherent aesthetics and let customers double up as your brand's trusted (and self-confessed) advocates.
Question #1: Can I add product reviews on Shopify?
Yes, Shopify's Product Reviews app allows you to add customer reviews of your products. You can also customize the review and star rating widget to your brand's aesthetics.
Question #2: Where are Product Reviews located in Shopify?
To access the Product Reviews app, start by logging into your Shopify admin dashboard. Then, click Settings > Apps. From the Apps page, select Product Reviews. Next, you'll need to click the Open app option.
Question #3: How do I get customers to leave reviews on my Shopify store?
To get more and more customers to leave honest reviews about your Shopify store, you can start by literally asking them for their honest reviews. You can also go for premium apps that allow you to automate your customer review process. Additionally, make sure to place the customer review option on the right location within the website, particularly regarding your product pages. Finally, ensure that you follow up on customer review requests, always incentivize the process, and thank customers for providing reviews.
Question #4: What are some of the best apps for adding product reviews on Shopify?
You can select from various free and paid apps to add the product review feature to your Shopify store. Some of the most popular apps include Judge.me, Loox, Stamped.io, Yotpo, and Product Reviews.
Question #5: Can I show product reviews on my Shopify homepage?
Yes, you can. Simply navigate to Display Reviews > Reviews Carousel. Next, you'll need to configure the Reviews Carousel based on your specific requirements. At the bottom of the page, select the option "Generate Code." Click on the Copy Code option. Alternatively, you can select the code and copy it manually. That's it; you're done!